January 10, 2013

The Travel Dilemma ...



When I was in my 20s, I used to travel quite a bit, both the ordinary two-week holiday in the Mediterranean, or something a little more exotic - India, Thailand, or backpacking around Australia. 

Then I got married.  

It's not the fact of being married that has stopped me travelling, but now we have a mortgage and jobs, which means it's not quite so easy to take off for a few weeks or a few months.  My husband, another traveller, would love to spend his time anywhere but, well, working and paying the mortgage!   The main reason, though, is that I'm forty eight hundred miles away from family and old friends, and when we DO have the time and money, we head back to Blighty.  Even then, we rush around the country, visiting parents, siblings and friends, and try to leave some time to have our own mini-adventure as well.  Because of the time constraints, we seem to keep to quick trips to Europe - not a bad thing, trust me - but I lust for far away places.

On my current Bucket List is the Potala Palace, Tibet (China), although I think I'd have to find a time machine before that happens as I'd like to visit it about 50 or so years ago.  The building itself is now a museum, which means the good news is that you can probably see more rooms there than when it was a working Palace.  The bad news is that the city of Lhasa has changed a lot in the past decades as has the whole history of the area.  It's now a UNESCO World Heritage Site - http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/707, which means that, when I DO find the time and money, it should still be there.   I hadn't realized that it consists of the Red Palace, where previous Dalai Lamas are buried,  and the White Palace which is used more for ceremonial occasions.  One day ....

It's a big world out there, and my Bucket List just keeps getting longer. 


Photo Courtesy : http://www.stockfreeimages.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment