January 04, 2013

Christmas passed ...



A few week's ago I thought our living room was kind of small, then I put up our big Christmas tree, and I REALLY thought the room was small.  Tomorrow ... I know the room will look empty because I'll be taking the tree and decorations down. 

We used to have a 4' fake tree that I put on a table that was covered with a cloth cut to look like icicles.  I'd always wanted a bigger tree but didn't want to pay $200 for one of the really good - fake - trees.  Mooching around Goodwill a couple of weeks before Christmas last year, I found an amazing tree with the mind-blowing price tag of $25.00.  Yes .. it's my $200 tree, I'm sure of it.  It's huge - 6.5 feet high and very full in the nether regions so it certainly takes up a lot of space.  Who cares - it's Christmas, right?  

Going from 4' to 6.5' meant trying not to spend too much money on new ornaments, but I decided to go for the country look as there were a lot of those ornaments at half price!  My incredibly talented sister-in-law, Trudie, made the felt heart.  Heck, she even made the felt!   She pounces on unsuspecting farmers and asks if she can buy newly shorn wool and just goes from there.  I can't wait to see what she sends us each year, all hand made.

So tomorrow, I'll take down the tree, the decorations on the mantlepiece, the cards on the wall, the swag on the stair rail, the Father Christmas on top of the TV cabinet with his snow flakes dangling from the ceiling, and then I'll have a whole year to find some more treasures for my $25.00 tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment