April 23, 2014

Where Have All The Colours Gone?

They say that Summer's coming ... though it's still raining here, and it's colder today, so I'm back in my polar fleece.  I thought I'd look on the internet for a new duvet cover to brighten our bedroom, so went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and Amazon, as well as O.co, to see what was out there.

Well, if I wanted to buy new bed linens, the term "brighten" really doesn't come to mind when you see what's available.  As the post header says - where have all the colours gone?  Just a quick glance at a page full of choices, and you can see that white, silver and taupe seem to be what is mostly available.  Yes, there are some more interesting patterns and colors, but they're few and far between.  Just glance at a sample from Bed, Bath and Beyond:





... and Amazon:



Blah!  Now, I'm not criticizing those two stores, as this is basically what I found everywhere else on the Web, but I'm just not a beige or white kind of gal.  Okay, so the walls in my living room are ... well ... beige (Gobi Desert, to be precise!) but that's a long - and very boring - story.

I remember reading somewhere recently that most of the car colours these days are white, silver and black.  Look around, and you'll see the boring colors.  I have a friend who has a silver Honda Civic and it's a real pain to find it in the parking lot, or to keep an eye out for her if she's picking me up.  Thanks goodness my car is red.  And the next one will be too.  I'd love to have one of those apple green Fords, but I'm not sure I want a Fiesta.  My favourite car was a turquoise Renault 5 ... that was easy to spot in a parking lot, at the time.  Moving on.

Back to the bed linens - I'm not sure if sheet sets or comforters are sold in brighter shades and more interesting patterns, because we have a king size duvet, and there isn't quite so much choice out there for duvet covers.  What makes it a little more complicated is that we have a queen size bed and use a king size duvet, so it makes it harder to buy a set.  Not harder, but certainly more expensive, as you have to buy the sheets and duvet cover separately.

Maybe I'll stick with what we have.

There was one interesting spark in this search for linen.  When I went to the Amazon site,  I typed in "duvet cover" in the search box, and this came up:


I guess it was the "cover" part that got caught up in my search because I don't think those are duvets!




No comments:

Post a Comment