January 26, 2014

There and back again ...

To paraphrase Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit (or was it at the end of Lord of the Rings?) my trusty 2004 San Remo Red Subaru Impreza has taken me "there and back again" and has now racked up 111,111 miles!  I thought my mileometer had broken when I saw those numbers staring back at me yesterday, but it slowly blipped over to 111112, so I knew everything was okay.



Since we bought the car, its travelled from the Seattle area to San Diego numerous times - to visit the In-Laws - taking the more scenic route down Highway 101 south of San Francisco, rather than the I-5.  It's a great drive, sometimes merging with Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway, with incredible views by the ocean.  The 101 takes you through Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world, home of garlic ice cream (... interesting),  through California's central valley where  there are fruit and vegetable fields, as well as nut orchards, from horizon to horizon.  On through San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria with a stop at Buellton (home of famous Andersen's Split Pea Soup) and the town of Solvang for some pastries, to the coast highway to Santa Barbara, and then maybe to Malibu and find your way through Los Angeles to San Diego via the I-5 or 15.  Hmmm - I think we need to take another drive down there soon as just looking all that up on the map has made me restless for another trip.

Our trusty car has also taken us on drives across country, through Yellowstone National Park, to the Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand) and Mt Rushmore, taking in Glacier National Park on the way home.  Our last trip to Yellowstone gave us some unexpected snow - would you believe it was the end of May! - so the poor car has had it's fair share of scrapings and brushings.


Our trusty Subaru has taken us on the road to nowhere (name that band... )


and had a close encounter (name that movie ... oh, wait .... too easy... )



I also managed to find a way to feed and water the husband along the way (at the same time!) ...


Apologies for the blurred photo but there are some bumpy highways around the west coast (it's a nice sharp image of the dashboard though, in case you're interested).

All in all, the car has certainly earned those 111,111 miles.  When I saw the numbers, I had to pull over quickly so that I could take a photo before the numbers changed - I've never had a car that's done so many miles.  In the UK, you can't drive very far in any direction without falling off the edge, so to me, this is a real milestone.  The big debate is whether or not to get a new car or see how far we can get with this one, but I'm not sure I like the new, redesigned Subaru Impreza - it doesn't have the unique shape that it used to have (like ours) but now looks like umpteen other small hatchbacks.  Still, it's a great car and I like having the safety of the All-Wheel-Drive (this is beginning to sound like a car commercial).  The two main things I want in a car - besides all that safety stuff - is a rear windshield wiper and a hatchback.  Well placed cupholders come in the top three as well.  I guess the longer we leave the decision making, the higher the numbers on the mileometer will be.

Just to translate - I did a check on the internet and discovered that the American for "mileometer" is "odometer".  Now the big question is - what's an odo?



No comments:

Post a Comment