February 09, 2014

Green Eggs and Freckles

A few day's ago, my husband was doing some work for a woman who had some land outside Poulsbo, and she kept - among other things - chickens.  Very free-range chickens.  She gave him a half dozen eggs and I've only just gotten around to using them.  Opening the cardboard container, I saw that we had four brown and two green eggs.  The green ones were beautiful, a very pale, almost translucent mint green.  I hadn't actually seen one before but, hey, I'm pretty much a city girl ... I've seen other coloured eggs in magazines but never the real thing.  It seemed a shame to use it.



(Dang, that pine branch would have looked so effective if I could figure out how to get rid of the bottom shadow on the uploaded image.)

I remembered that I'd taken a photo of some spectacularly freckled eggs way back in the Summer.  I don't know anything about what comes out of the south end of a north bound chicken - do different coloured eggs come from different breeds of chickens?  Does it depend on what they eat?  The weather?  I have no idea.





Another thought - I seem to be getting a "thing" for egg photos.  How many of something do you have to have to be technically called a collection, or an accumulation or an amassment?  A digest? (burp) ( 'scuse me)  Why yes, I did just check the Thesaurus.  Do three items count as a kit or a caboodle?  While I ponder this question, here's egg photo number three...

This one I love!  It was in the window of the butcher's shop in Frinton-on-Sea in the UK, where my Mum lives.  Now, every time I see the phrase "Free Range" I always, mentally, finish with "from Happy Chickens".  Makes me smile every time.

And just to end on an eye-rolling note, here's a golden oldie from the 1970s ...

Why did the punk rocker cross the road?
Because he was stapled to the chicken!



Thank you, and good night.



No comments:

Post a Comment